Thursday 15 July 2021
The Virtual Internship Project dissemination and discussion event
The Virtual Internships Project (VIP) is a UK-based project (2019-2021) working with secondary schools to develop students’ technical and future skills through meaningful, curricular-embedded links between education and the world of work. The project is supported through an established research partnership between the University of Cambridge, BT and Huawei.
Join DEFI as we explore the outcomes of VIP and discuss potential for how to develop the approach going forward.
This online event was held on Thursday, 15 July at 1700. Watch the video on YouTube.
More about this event
We will review ambitious goals that we set for this first phase of VIP:
- Providing simulated online and offline internship opportunities to students in Years 7 and 8 — years before traditional internship programs are usually available
- Building links between education and enterprise
- Changing how secondary school students view and relate to the world of work
- Supporting teachers’ developing pedagogy, to embed complementary focus on students’ technical and future skills
- Developing learners’ capacity for effective communication and collaborative creativity
- Working with industry partners to resource internships through a variety of online or offline; synchronous or asynchronous; technical, digital and social contexts
The research team of Professor Rupert Wegerif (principal investigator), Dr Louis Major (co-investigator) and Dr Alison Twiner (research associate) will discuss key outcomes of the project, including the impacts of and response to COVID-19.
Also joining us will be Jo Shillingford, careers lead and teacher of computing and ICT at the Chellaston Academy in Derby, England and Jonathan Legh-Smith, principal, scientific affairs, at BT.
Register in advance for this informative session, including a preview of the Phase 2 scale-up that is currently in the planning stages.
Prof David Williamson Shaffer
Vilas Distinguished Professor of Learning Sciences, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Careers Lead and Teacher, Chellaston Academy
Principal, Scientific Affairs, BT
Manoli Pifarré Turmo
Assoc. Professor, Edu. Psychology, Universitat de Lleida.
Director, Huawei ICT Academy Programme, Western Europe
Prof Rupert Wegerif